Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. has had an organized presence in Durham, N.C. since 1931. At that time, Sorors Mary Lee Fisher Morris and Minnie Pearson Turner Spaulding, two teachers at Hillside High School began work on chartering a local chapter. At its inception, Alpha Lambda was a mixed chapter comprised of both graduate and undergraduate members. Soror Mary Lee Fisher Morris served as the first president of Alpha Lambda from 1931 until 1937. The second president was Jochebed Christmas Locust. It was during her term in office that the graduate chapter, Alpha Kappa Sigma, was established. On April 25, 1941, Alpha Lambda initiated new undergraduate members and began operating as an undergraduate chapter. The graduate sorors of Alpha Lambda became members of Alpha Kappa Sigma. The charter members of Alpha Kappa Sigma Chapter were sorors:
In 1956, as a result of an action taken at the 24th National Convention, all graduate chapters became alumnae chapters, identified by the name of the city in which it was located. Thus, Alpha Kappa Sigma Chapter became Durham Alumnae Chapter.